Saturday, September 01, 2007

Celebrate, part 2

This week, my wife pointed out one of my more “unique” traits. I have this most uncanny ability to notice new things. For instance. I notice when my wife gets a haircut. I notice when she is wearing new clothes. I notice when my kids do something new, or reach a new stage of development. I notice when my co-workers take risks in serving others. I notice when many of you take steps of faith. I am even aware of mundane things like new patches on the pavement on the streets that I drive. I find myself keenly aware of my surroundings and changes…yet what I didn’t necessarily know, was that I don’t verbalize the value of these changes.

So, when I notice that my wife gets a haircut, I say to her, “You got a haircut didn’t you?” Then she would reply, “Yes, I did.” And then I would move on to other subjects internally thinking that I have done my job. Internally, I am celebrating these notice statements as victories. I noticed! I pointed out! I am aware of others! I am conquering selfishness! All the while, my wife is left wondering whether I actually like her haircut or not. She is left vulnerable, and in the dark as to how I feel about her and her new haircut. I am finding out this happens all the time with my observations about life. I notice, and then I move on. I fail to tell others why I noticed. Your hair looks good. I like your new shirt. Thanks for cleaning up your toys. Thanks for being an example to me in the way you serve others. You helped me worship today by letting me see the steps of faith you are taking in your life. Thanks for taking care of the pot holes!

My particular illness of noticing without following up that observation with words that express encouragement to the other, has caused me to see all of the opportunities I have missed to celebrate others. As a result, I realize that withholding my praise, or assuming there is praise in making my observation verbal, does not lead to blessing in other people’s lives. It can actually have the opposite affect.

Pray with me that we would be a community that is moved in our observations of God’s work in other people’s lives to express it with words of blessing…liberally and without holding back.

No comments: