Friday, January 18, 2008

Today, I Saw Jesus

After finishing lunch at Bear Rock at University Mall, and I had some time to kill before my next meeting. There was a cozy spot open in front of their faux fireplace, so I thought I would save some fossil fuel by staying put. I whipped out my laptop to catch up on my online communication. Thirty minutes later, I looked up from my screen to give my eyes a break from looking at my screen, and the next thing my eyes saw was Jesus.

There he was, or I should say there she was, leading a group of people into Bear Rock for a lunch on the other side of the cozy faux fireplace (it is of the see through variety). This young woman was leading a group of mentally challenged men and women to have lunch with her. They walked rather slowly, but their eyes were fixed on her. The woman who was right behind…Jesus…was holding tightly to her arm. There was no way she was letting go. Then, this woman, who just had to be Jesus, patiently held the door for the rest of her friends to walk through and helped them to their place in front of the fireplace.

After this, she reached into her bag and pulled out some $20’s, and handed one to each person in her party. They then got menus to select their meal, and proceeded to the cashier to order and pay for their meals. After that, they made their way back to their seats in front of the fireplace. Quietly, without much fanfare, they ate together with…with Jesus.

Ok, maybe this woman wasn’t Jesus, but when I saw this gentle crowd come in led by this woman, that’s all I could think of. I was struck with the picture that was being played out in front of me. I thought, “This is the picture of Jesus leading the body of Christ.” Here he was leading a band of broken people together to share a fellowship meal with him. He accepts our company (no matter what our challenges). He leads us to quiet waters (or warm fireplaces). He gives us provision ($20 bucks for lunch). He restores our souls (transforming who we are by his presence with us).

As I think about our community, pray with me that we would hold on to Jesus like that woman at the front of the line...not worried or anxious about our liabilities, but joyful because of God’s presence with us.

No comments: